Santo Domingo City Tour
Would you like to walk in the footsteps of Christopher Columbus? Of course you would! That’s why we’re inviting you to our exclusive excursion from Punta Cana to Santo Domingo.
We’re giving YOU the opportunity to experience, first hand, the birth of European civilization in the Americas. The first cathedral, paved road, university, hospital, stone home, tavern, etc are all located within a 16 block radius in Santo Domingo’s Colonial Zone or “Old City”.
Oh and did we mention the Colonial Zone is a UNESCO World Heritage Site since 1992? How many World Heritage Sites have you been to?
This is how your day shakes down…
From Punta Cana you head west through rolling sugar cane fields until we reach the Dominican Republic’s capital city. Now, you’re in the thick of it, witnessing everyday life for millions of Dominicans; your walled off resort is far from this reality.
In chronological order our highlights include:
- VISIT Three Eyes National Park: underground caves and lagoons used by Taino Indians for a millennia until their extermination
- OBSERVE the Columbus Lighthouse where Christopher Columbus’ remains are entombed
- SET FOOT in Diego Columbus’s Palace
- STROLL the first paved road of the New World
- ENTER the National Pantheon, the final resting place of the country’s most honored citizens
- KNEEL in the first cathedral of the New World
- INDULGE in authentic Dominican cuisine in an authentic atmosphere
- STAND before the country’s impressive National Palace
- TIME to shop or stroll the Colonial City’s continually inhabited streets for half a millennia
As you can see, most of your day is spent within the fortified, canon laden, walls of the Colonial City. Fortified walls? Yep, because everyone wanted a piece of this gem of the New World to launch their own conquests. Did you know the conquests of Mexico, Peru and Florida all embarked from Santo Domingo? But they couldn’t hold back the famous pirate Sir Francis Drake who sacked the city in 1586, only to give it back to the Spanish after receiving a hefty ransom in gold.
That nugget of history was free! But to really unveil Santo Domingo’s infinite past, only a full narrated tour would do the city justice.
Put down your sun tan lotion and put on a hat and comfortable sneakers because it’s time to:
- LEARN about the Western Hemisphere’s European birth
- EAT real Dominican food where Dominicans go to eat
- RETURN home with a genuine understanding of the Dominican Republic’s people and history
Our Santo Domingo excursion is only available two days a week. Space sells out quickly so book now!
Make Christopher Columbus proud that 500+ years later you’re still interested in discovering the city and the New World he conceived in 1492.
- Round trip transportation
- Professional guide
- Comfortable Clothing
- Comfortable shoes
Approximately 11 hours
“Pickup times and locations vary depending on the hotel you are staying at. We will be contacting you shortly with the exact time and pickup location”
This tour operates
Hotel Lobby or specified meeting point
“Pickup locations vary by hotel location
We’ll be contacting you with the exact location”
|Ticket Type||Adults, Kids|